North Carolina Geographical Society
March 3, 2017
1) Call to order
Jesse Rouse called to order the meeting of the Interim Board of the North Carolina Geographical Society at 1:00PM on March 3, 2017 via a video conference (available at https://uncp.webex.com/uncp/ldr.php?RCID=3de739557bfa723b86cc613dbd3a72b7).
2) Approval of minutes from last meeting
No previous minutes were available for approval.
3) Open issues
No open issues
4) New business
- It was agreed that membership should be moved to a digital process
- Bank account will need to be created for the organization (previous account was closed)
- Membership should be broad, pulling from academia, government, and private sector
- Publication should be digital
- North Carolina Geographer should be the only publication and items formerly associated with the newsletter should either be included on the webpage/social media or incorporated into the North Carolina Geographer
- NCGS should maintain current roster of elected officials.
- Suggestion to house the day-to-day activities of the NCGS at a NC university on a rotating five year basis to have continuity between officers and support long-term efforts. UNCP volunteered for the first 5 years (2017-2021)
- Question of whether to include South Carolina to create a ‘Carolina Geographical Society’ was raised
- Interim board positions
- Nominations and agreements were as follows (though I am not sure anyone would fight if others wanted the jobs):
- Jesse Rouse – President
- Russ Smith – Vice President
- Chris Hawk – Secretary/Treasurer
Jesse Rouse adjourned the meeting at 1:28PM.
Minutes submitted by: Jesse Rouse